Friday, October 31, 2008

Just Some News

Well I haven't been the best blogger lately, mainly because I am super BUSY with a newborn!
Cade has had a rough few nights, well actually the past 2 weeks have progressively gotten more and more challenging! Cade's favorite hour of the day is 5 o'clock. Consistently at 5PM, Cade begins to literally scream his brains out. Each night has gotten longer and longer and longer. Well after 6 hrs of it last night, my husband and my Aunt Cathy convinced me I HAD to call his pediatrician. So today, we went in for a quick look, and it seems we have found the answer. At Cade's last appointment he was 6lbs 15oz, well today he was 6lbs 13oz, and that was with a dirty diaper, so he probably is even less. So basically, he is STARVING!!! He is breast-feeding well, but he falls fast asleep as soon as he has ate for about 5min. So my pediatrician and I made a joint decision, based on mine and Colby's sanity and Cade's health, formula supplementation will begin!
So I just fed him a bottle of Similac, and he LOVED it. Gulped it down. And guess what??? It's past 5PM and he's NOT screaming. He's fast asleep in his swing. He's the happiest I have seen him in a long time! So for the next 12hrs I will feed him formula and pump. Starting tomorrow I will alternate between formula and breast milk. I go back to the doctor Monday to make sure his weight has increased!
Colby and I have prayed for many nights. And I have cried with Cade for many nights. So I truly believe maybe this is God's way of answering our prayers.
I was feeling a little guilty about supplementation but after a lot of prayer and support from friends (Lockie) and family, I have realized a happy baby equals a happy mom and vice versa!
Below are Cade's pics from his first bath!



And here is what the valley is famous for, their grapefruit! My hubby loves grapefruit, he eats at least one a day. But these are the BIGGEST dang grapefruit I have ever seen. It is bigger than a dinner size plate. He was in heaven! We are loving the new culture and excitement down here!

4 comments:

The Ealy's said...

Hang in there. The first 6 weeks are the toughest...especially when you are the sole food provider. I promise it will get easier...and the fuller he is the happier he will be. The minute he smiles at you, your heart will melt and everything else will fade into a distant memory. You're doing great. Being a mom is the toughest job in the world. It is only when we become one that we truly appreciate our own. Keep truckin' girlfriend. He'll have rolls before you know it!

The Cokenour Family said...

Your doing great Pennie! Just know that you are doing what is best for you and your little man! Those pics of Colby he should move them up just a little bit! They almost look like grapefruit tata's!

McCall said...

Girl...I had two baby boys...and they are super, big eaters. Keep that food coming!! I supplemented with both of mine before my milk even came in. They are both big, healthy boys and I don't regret a bit that I used formula to supplement. I was much happier, less stressed, and able to focus on loving my sweet boys. You're incredible.

Keri and Chad said...

You are doing awesome! Keep it up momma!! We are praying for you guys.