Monday, September 8, 2008

Irritable Uterus??? Well I'm Irritated!

So I went to the hospital today!!!!
HATE it so much!!!!
At work today I started having terrible sharp vaginal pain and horrible Braxton Hicks Contractions, so they told me I needed to go to the hospital for monitoring.
They described my condition as "Irritable Uterus" which was brought on by dehydration and stress. (Not sure how the dehydration occurred but I DEFINITELY know how the stress occurred!!)
I didn't call anyone to tell y'all I was going to the hospital because I felt stupid! I really didn't want to go to the hospital because I felt so ridiculous and that I was jumping to conclusions.
But I am glad I went now! Dr. Gardner came to see me and confirmed, I am NOT dilated and Cade is ok.
Thank GOD!!!!

Below is some info I found on the web that explains what an Irritable Uterus is:

"An 'irritable uterus' means simply that your uterus contracts without causing any changes in your cervix, or labor.

There are many causes: dehydration (<8-10 glasses of water/day), infections (urinary or vaginal), twins or multiple gestations, and stress are main causative factors. The concern comes in, before 36-37 weeks that perhaps the contractions are labor, or perhaps preterm dilatation.

An irritable uterus has NOTHING to do with your labor: neither making it shorter nor longer, nor less effective. It is simply the uterus contracting in an erratic, irregular pattern. "

"Some women notice that their uterus contracts (although they may feel it as painless Braxton Hicks) when they are physically active. You may find it helpful to lie down when that happens. Anything that helps you relax really. You may find having a warm bath or massage is useful. Also, a hot or cold compress applied to the painful area may provide relief."

4 comments:

It's more than a job... said...

Oh, I just love you! I can just see you as you were writing that! ;) I'm glad that everything is ok. I will pray ESPECIALLY HARD for yours & Cade's health AND that Colby will be there for the birth. God's got it under control. Luv ya girl! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Glad things are ok..Stres is a terrible thing..!! TAKE A DEEP BREATH..HUMMMMMMMMM...
AND we are for who ever we think will do the best job..right now I think its john and sara!! LOVE HER>
Take care ..waiting to hear from ya.!!
cheechee

The Gray Gang said...

bless your heart! didn't know about this until keri told me today! shame on you 4 not calling!

sarah jameson said...

i'm sorry to hear you uterus is irritated with you for stressing it out. and i'm sorry to hear you are feeling single-momedness. only 9 more days for the man! my man is in the hospital right now getting his appendix out. got an extra prayer? send it our way. love ya!